Call Me Mr. Mom (Day 24)

Thursday, July 24, 2008
It was bound to happen sooner or later - I just didn't think it would happen at age four. While at the park the other night I became an informed father because I found that Maya was being pursued by a younger boy in the neighborhood.

While sitting on a park bench watching Maya play another girl (couldn't have been older then 10) came over to me and asked what Maya's name was. By this time Maya was in my lap. I gave her a nudge and asked her to introduce herself. As always Maya didn't say a peep so I acknowledged the other girl and said, "this is Maya." Without any hesitation this girl immediately pointed out to the grass and said. "See that boy out there, he likes her!" Maya and I turned our heads to see who this "boy" might be and there he was, Lucas (see #2 here). Seeking to protect Maya's innocence I said. "Yes, Maya and Lucas are good friends. He is our neighbor." Looking at me as if I didn't understand the girl restates the obvious. "No, you don't understand. Lucas LIKES her!" By now Maya has a puzzled look on her face because she doesn't understand what this girl is talking about. I think she was so perplexed because she knew what I was talking about and didn't understand why the older girl didn't understand me.

I don't know if the relationship between Lucas and Maya will blossom, but I do know this - I like Lucas. Just the other day Lucas was playing "David & Goliath" at the park (he was David). His parents are nice, they attend a local church, and I often hear praise music coming from their house. However, one thing bothers me - he is quite the ladies man. The other day he was at the park on his John Deere hauling around four older women on a tractor that only holds two kids.

(UPDATED @ 4:05)

This just in - I don't like Lucas! He has already gotten Maya to take off her clothes. You see, Lucas parades his manliness around by running around the neighborhood in shorts, a bandanna, and a satchel (to hold his stones when being David in "David & Goliath). No shoes and no shirt! While talking to Lucas from upstairs Maya came over to me to tell me her shirt was stuck on her ponytail. "Maya, why are taking your shirt off?" "Daddy, I am hot." It must be noted that it is not even above 90 right know. Because I was writing about Lucas he was fresh in my mind so I asked, "does Lucas have his shirt off right now? You want your shirt off because Lucas has his off right?" To which she simply replied, "of course daddy!" Needless to say, we had to reach a compromise - so she put on a tank top!

0 comments:

Post a Comment