A New Perspective on... Sin

Sunday, November 30, 2008
You might here the phrase, "a new perspective" come out of my mouth much more now. It is all because of the most recent book I am reading. Now that I received my present (any six books off of my wish list) from my wife I can read. The first book I choose to dive into was, Life Together: The Classic Exploration of Faith in Community, written by Dietrich Bonhoeffer. Though small in pages (approx. 150) this book, which actually is an essay is rich and full of profound insight. The most pressing thought I would like to share with you deals with sin.

I think we all know how we respond to sin. We don't like. We tend to be judgmental and harsh in order to create separation so that our "sin" is not discovered. On a grander scale, we can reflect upon history and see that the "church" most often was the ring leader and spearheaded the charge against the "sinner", casting them (the sinner) out. Because of this, the very place of love and acceptance morphed into a place of hypocrisy. The most recent/most visible example of this is the handling of the Ted Haggard saga. If you don't know, Ted recently returned to the pulpit, accepting an invitation of a former classmate to preach at his church. I only bring this to refresh your memory and ask you a question. What might have happened if we (the church as a whole) reacted differently and had a new perspective. A perspective that is quite different then what we are used to. A perspective that Bonhoeffer shares here:
"Even when sin and misunderstanding burden the communal life, is not the sinning brother still a brother, with whom I, too, stand under the Word of Christ? Will not his sin be a constant occasion for me to give thanks that both of us may live in the forgiving love of God in Jesus Christ? Thus the very hour of disillusionment with my brother becomes incomparably salutary, because it so thoroughly teaches me that neither of us can ever live by our own words and deeds, but only by that one Word and Deed which really binds us together - the forgiveness of sins in Jesus Christ."
So, next time you feel yourself becoming judgmental towards a brother or sister in Christ why don't you celebrate. How? Instead of "slapping their hand" while scolding them why don't you "grab their hand" and pray together. For it is in that prayer where you both can confess and admit the sin in your life; it is in that prayer you can acknowledge that no matter how hard you try you will always fall short; it is in that prayer that you can receive the unconditional love that only Jesus gives.

0 comments:

Post a Comment