Shiloh Basin Community Church

Monday, December 1, 2008
Shiloh Basin Community Church is a small rural church located in western Oregon just outside of Rainer on the Columbia River. It is a community church, rich in history and character. Its roots run deep and wide throughout the community and into the world through the lives they have supported and prayed for, for decades. Back in the day, Shiloh might have been classified as a thriving and blossoming church; where as now, you might categorize it as (for a lack of a better term) stagnant and dormant. Over the past few years some issues have evolved that have caused Shiloh to fall upon some hard times (this is not a bad thing my friends and it should not be frowned upon). I am certain that these hard times are building and developing the character of those at Shiloh as they persevere and remain faithful to their Father in heaven. It is because of this that I jumped at any chance to preach at Shiloh Basin.

Over the past month or so, while at Shiloh, we attempted to work through the book of Psalm. I say “attempted” because I knew I would be leaving sooner then later and that I wouldn’t be there for 161 weeks to cover the whole book. In my short time there we covered five chapters – 1, 2, 23, 42, & 43. Chapters 42 and 43 have since become a favorite of mine.

The two Psalms can be broken into three sections. In each section we hear a voice of sorrow followed by the voice of hope. After the voice of sorrow speaks we hear and read the voice of hope. In Psalm 42:5, 42:11, and 43:5 we find the Psalmist talking to himself, answering his internal sorrows with a declaration of hope. "Why are you in despair, O my soul? And why have you become disturbed within me? Hope in God, for I shall again praise Him for the help of His presence. ” It is here that the Psalmist reasons his faith with his fears, his hope argues with his sorrows. When our soul seeks to embrace itself it sinks. It only stays above the water when it catches onto the power and promises of God, this my friends is hope; a hope that leads us to strengthen our comforts instead of questioning them.

3 comments:

Donna Diedrich said...

Thank you Mark for the good & hard times that you have described here at Shiloh Basin.

Since your departure we have acquired an interim pastor. Bill & Becky Berg have re-infused us with new vision and hope. We have been having more community activities and have cleaned & remodeled the old school house that we had previously used as a youth activities center.

Jessica Keller lead VBS along with a host of helpers this summer. We are continuing to minister to these same children on Thurs afternoons. Pray that God will give the increase.

We pray that you and your family are well and continue to be blessed in your present ministry. Please come back for a visit.

In Christ Love,
Jerry & Donna Diedrich

MaryAnn M Housley said...

Thank you for the wonderful picture it brought back wonderful memories of my home, my church, and my favorite people, there at shiloh basin and at my old my old home. It brought me to tears to view the very same places where I sat and listened to the world of the lord. It was my refuge, thank you.
I have since enlisted in the Army over 10 years ago now. Ive made rank of E9 Now. Master Sergeant thanks again to you all and to the lord got me through some very rough times in my life.

Juanita said...

Shiloh Basin has a new Pastor and we worship the one true Living God. We have faithful worshipers who keep showing up every Sunday to Praise our God. Come visit us. Nita

Post a Comment