My First Thought...

Thursday, November 13, 2008
I have had a few thoughts since being back in California so I thought I might share them with you. I only have time to write one at a time so you will have to wait in suspense for the next. The first has to do with Proposition 8…. (need I say more?)

For those inside California you will understand, without much explanation, the role Prop 8 has played in our lives over the past few weeks. For those outside California all you need to know is that Prop 8 was a constitutional amendment seeking to redefine marriage as only between a man and women. It doesn’t take rocket science to figure out that this is heated and controversial proposition. Prop 8 has led both sides to protest in droves at major intersections throughout California, including one only miles from where I am living. On each corner there were those in favor and against, shouting, screaming, hoping to get the most attention so that one might look at their sign that they are holding. All of this leads me to ask:
  1. Is the best way to communicate the saving and sacrificial love of Jesus?
  2. If one is shouting at the other, causing the other to feel hated, un-loved, and despicable then how does one expect the other to feel when they interact within ones church?
  3. Did at anytime, those in favor of Prop 8, cross the street and apologize to those against, in hopes that a cordial and respectful dialogue might take place.
  4. When all is said and done and the election is over. What type of hostility and perception will we (I say we as Christians) have to overcome to share and prove the undiscriminatory love of Christ?

2 comments:

Jvan said...

Great thoughts Mark,
I have been challenged with some of the same questions as I've been learning more of what it is to live like Christ and love like Christ.
Thanks for posting this

Courtney said...

All excellent points - if the people driving on Sunrise & Greenback and seeing the protesters are anything like me, then they weren't swayed either way; they were just annoyed and frustrated at the obvious anger and dissent in the crowds. Unfortunately, cordial and respectful dialogues sometimes seem out of reach when it comes to values people hold close to their heart - ironic, because that's when it's most important to have them.

Post a Comment