Lesson #3: People or Programs

Saturday, January 12, 2008
Here we are continuing a series on the lessons learned (although not necessarily new lessons) throughout the past two and a half years in Seminary. If you need to catch up you can go here, here, and here for the previous three posts.

I have done much pondering and thinking on my education and how it has and has not prepared me for ministry. It seems as if people are on either side of the argument in regards to a seminary education as preparation for full time ministry. The most common argument against a seminary education is that people in seminary become more book smart then anything else. In other words, seminary students become learners of books and programs rather then people. I have even heard numerous professors in Seminary claim that Seminary turns out more scholars/teachers that turn to education instead of training pastors. Interesting thought huh? I don't know if it is entirely true, but there is sure some validity to the claim.

Throughout Seminary I have asked myself, is this about people or programs. If it was about people, I sat back and took it all in. If it was about programs, I continually related it back to people and the "real world". Here are some thoughts on programs and people:
  • Focusing on programs offers us an easy excuse for not trying and not "getting dirty" as we get involved in the lives of others. In other words, we can blame our lack of success and effort on the program because it did not work out the way it should have.
  • Focusing on programs encourages and fosters a consumeristic mentality of individuals seeking the best program (product) in town.
  • Focusing on people allows us to create and initiate programs that are unique to our church body instead of copying programs from another church.
  • Focusing on people mandates that we continually turn to God for guidance as we shepherd and guide our flock (no seminary training or other education prepares us for this, only God).
There is a definite contrast between the two. As I look at programs and people I see and compare God's way (people) versus man's way (programs). End of argument because God's way is always right.

Introduction
Lesson #1: Above all else
Lesson #2: The church as the body and family
Lesson #3: People or programs
Lesson #4: To consume or to be consumed
Lesson #5: For mine or yours
Lesson #6: Peter Pan & leadership
Lesson #7: Rainbow vs. pot of gold

1 comments:

DK said...

Very cool. This exact topic is why I have appreciated not attending a Bible college and why I have been leery about going to a Seminary.

While I don't think it is a reason in and of itself, it is definitely something to be aware of as you addressed.

Post a Comment