Our Christmas Story ...

Friday, December 7, 2007
Back in the day, Heather and I started dating during the Christmas season. During that year she decided to bless me with some anonymous gifts. During the "12 days of Christmas" she left me presents and gifts in all sorts of ways. During those days I had no idea who was leaving me the gifts. Part of me thought it might be a family member being nice to me and the other part of me was hoping that it was a girl, especially a girl by the name of Heather. To make a long story short it was her. That very same year I dragged Heather along with me to do some last minute Christmas shopping. We spent the whole day together playing "20 questions," which turned into more like "100 questions". At the beginning of the day we gave each other the liberty to ask any question under the pretense that it would be answered truthfully. We got to know each other rather well that day. One year for a present Heather gave me a box full of "12 days of Christmas" ornaments. We place them out every year on a separate tree as a reminder of those days - the days of our courtship & dating.

I married into a very tight "knit" family to say the least. Heather's family has a way with knitting. Her grandmother was the queen at knitting. She created over 150 (at least that is what I think, it could be more) of the stockings to your left for her family and friends. I consider it an honor to have my name on one of them. When she passed away the family had everyone show up to the reception with their stocking in hand. Everyone laid them out on the bed so that pictures could be taken in order to capture all of them at once. If you notice the stockings to the right you will see that one is longer then the other's - it's mine!

I have vivid memories of bundling up with sweatshirts, hats, and coats in order to get a Christmas tree. My dad, mom, sister, and I would hop in the car and drive up to Apple Hill. We would spend the day there at the many shops, villages, and tree farms hunting for the PERFECT Christmas tree (and I mean perfect). It was enjoyable because we were together as a family. We always ate wonderful food while we there. We could always count on having some sort of apple dessert with apple cider while we were in Apple Hill. Some of my family (well most of it) has turned unnatural (or shall I say fake). They no longer make the trek up the mountain to get a fresh tree, they simply pull it out of the closet and unpack it. I am sure one of these days it will be that way in my home, but until then I will make family memories with my wife and daughters by dragging them out into the bitter cold and mud in order to find the PERFECT Christmas tree.

This year marks the first year of the Advent calendar with Maya. Every morning for the past couple of days Maya and I have been doing the Advent calendar. I love it! Every morning as we begin she points at the first day and says, "He is the Alpha and Omega!" The time we have together every morning is priceless. As she sits there on my knee, I can't help but realize that the other knee, which is empty will eventually be filled by her little sister.

I hope and pray that you have a joyous Christmas season as you celebrate our Savior's birth. May His story be your story. Merry Christmas!

1 comments:

DK said...

Thanks for sharing! I know I am in an overly emotional/sentimental mood after Nightstrike and having some really good conversations during/after, but it's pretty cool all the same.

Post a Comment