Daddy Sang Bass....

Monday, December 10, 2007
December 10, 2007. Today is my father's birthday. He would have been 58 had he not passed away in September of 2006. One thing that I loved about my dad was his voice. He was not the greatest singer in the world, but he sure was passionate about it. He had a deep voice and sang bass in the choir at church. You could not miss him because he often sat in the back row in the direct center. He was a head above the men he sat around. He loved music and was moved by it often. My love for music comes from him (and my mom, after all she is the music teacher).
Our house was full of music. There were numerous times that I would walk into the house to loud music blaring from the speakers as my dad was going about his business. Most of the time my dad was listening to the Boston Pops. During Christmas time he would listen to the latest holiday CD, mostly with a symphonic sound. One of my dad's favorite past times was to sit on the living room sofa as my mom played piano and practiced with her best friend, Maryellen as they prepared to sing and play for church. All of this to say, my dad loved music.
I recently listened to a Johnny Cash song on a CD I got for my birthday. On it one of the songs is entitled "Daddy Sang Bass." It explains the picture very well that I have in my head, as I know that one day I will sing with him again in heaven. The song is about a family who loved to sing. Their family circle becomes broken and yet there remains a hope that one day they will sing together again. " One of these days and it won't be long. I'll rejoin them in a song. I'm gonna join the family circle at the Throne." I know the day will eventually come when I see my daddy singing and enjoying life, full of praise and honor for our heavenly father. When that day comes it will be a joy to step beside him and join him in song.

Here are the words for your convenience:

I remember when I was a lad,
times were hard and things were bad.

But there's a silver lining behind every cloud.
Just poor people, that's all we were.
Trying to make a living out of black land dirt.
We'd get together in a family circle singing loud.
Daddy sang bass,
Mama sang tenor.
Me and little brother would join right in there.
Singing seems to help a troubled soul.
One of these days and it won't be long.
I'll rejoin them in a song.
I'm gonna join the family circle at the Throne.
No, the circle won't be broken.
By and by, Lord, by and by.
You could hear us singing for a country mile.




Now little brother has done gone on.
But, I'll rejoin him in a song.
We'll be together again up yonder in a little while.
Daddy sang bass,
Mama sang tenor.
Me and little brother would join right in there.
Cause singing seems to help a troubled soul.
One of these days and it won't be long,
I'll rejoin them in a song.
I'm gonna join the family circle at the Throne.
Oh, no the circle won't be broken.
By and by, Lord, by and by.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

He's smiling down at you! Kinda nice to remember the good times, huh? I passed this onto several of my friends, in daddy's honor.

Love you!

Post a Comment