"More"

Sunday, February 8, 2009
If you need and introduction, go here. If not just keep reading.

Just the other night, I read the section in Obama’s book in which Reverend Wright enters the life of Barack Obama. Their first encounter occurred during Obama’s latter years as a community organizer in Chicago. Obama’s first meeting with Wright took place immediately following a meeting Wright had with some bankers regarding the building of a new Sanctuary. The bankers needed to meet with Wright to inform him that a life insurance policy must be in place prior to earning approval for the loan. Apparently, the bankers were under the impression that the church was solely centered around Wright and not God. They felt they needed the policy to be in place to insure their investment. Upon hearing all of this, Obama asked Wright “is it true?” Reverend Wright shook his head.
“I’m not the church, Barack. If I die tomorrow, I hope the congregation will give me a decent burial. I like to think a few tears will be shed. But as soon as I’m six feet under, they’ll be right back on the case, figuring out how to make this church live up to its mission.”
Now, whether or not this was and is the case we do not know. However, according to the author of the book and the President of the United States the statement is an actual fact.

I point this out because I believe the church in general would be much better off if those in a position of authority recognized the very one who placed them in authority. Unfortunately, there are many in church today who are more committed to the man who is delivering the sermon than to the Man the sermon is about. I am not saying that all pastors don’t recognize the God who has placed them in authority… many do. What I am saying is that there are more then a few pastors that seek to proclaim their name instead of proclaiming God’s name. While you may think it is only a handful of pastors who do this, I think it is one too many and I think God would agree with my assessment.

Stay tuned for “even more”

0 comments:

Post a Comment