Words Your Not Ready to Hear...

Monday, November 12, 2007
The conversation in the car on the way home from Preschool last week went as follows:

MAYA: Guess what daddy?
MARK: What sweetie?
MAYA: I have three boyfriends!
MARK: You have three what?
MAYA: Boyfriends daddy.
Before I could shut my mouth and continue driving she said:
MAYA: Yeah, daddy all of the kids in my class are my friends. But I like Charlie, Elliot, and Michael because they are my boyfriends.

Now, I know your smiling (as you should be) because I was and still do as I reflect on my conversation with Maya. I share this story with you to remind you that there are times in our lives when we need to listen to words that we are not ready to hear. Because it is in those moments that God is glorified and revealed in our lives.

How might you react when you listen to the following words your not ready to hear:

"He's not going to make it, we need to keep him comfortable."
"Mom, I'm pregnant."
"Yes, he will be confined to a wheel chair for the rest of his life."
"Were are getting a divorce."
"We tried all that we could do, but we could not save her."
"Yes, your right that grade is final. You did not pass."
"There has been an accident"
- OR -
" Not you too."
"Your not one of his disciples are you?"
"Didn't I see you in the garden with him?"

Do those last three questions sound familiar? If so then you know the story of Peter and how he denied any affiliation with his Lord and Savior. In all four of the Gospels we encounter the story of Peter as he denies Christ and is unable to truthfully answer the three questions asked of him. In the Gospel of John we read the story of Peter intertwined with Jesus as he is being questioned before Pilate. When you read John's account of the story you will move back and forth between Jesus and Peter as they moved inside and outside. The imagery is magnificent as John retells his version of the story. One commentary puts it this way. "John has constructed a dramatic contrast wherein Jesus stands up to his questioners and denies nothing, while Peter cowers before his questioners and denies everything ... The foil Peter provides helps highlight Jesus' regal strength and authority, the hallmark of John's portrait of Jesus in his passion."

Sometimes the words that we don't want to hear are the divine words spoken to us so that we may continue to shine and glorify our God in heaven.

0 comments:

Post a Comment