INFRACANINOPHILE

Saturday, November 17, 2007
Props to my mother-in-law for introducing me to my new favorite word. In case you are wondering what it means, here is the definition:

A person who champions the underdog. The word has three parts. The Latin prefix infra- means "interior to,below, or beneath." Related words include under, inferior, and inferno. The middle part, -canino- is from the Latin canus (dog), and-phile is from the Greek philos (beloved, loving). So, the word can be directly translated as lover of the underdog (my personal preference).

Infracaninophile has been in Barbara's (my mother-in-law) family since she was a child. It carries special meaning and is deeply rooted throughout the generations of her family. I just heard some of the history behind the word for the first time so I am still getting my facts straight. Once I do I promise I will share them with you.

In the meantime - don't hesitate in being infrocaninophile's.

0 comments:

Post a Comment