6:00 AM or 6:14 AM?

Tuesday, June 9, 2009
6:00 AM or 6:14 AM? That is the question. Be careful how you answer because you don’t know where it will take you.

A few weeks ago I read a book entitled, “How I moved from Failure to Success in Selling” by Frank Bettger. The book basically tells the story how Bettger grabbed himself up by the boot straps and got to work. Essentially, all Bettger did to become successful in selling is to change his attitude, approach and perspective as he went about selling life insurance. By all accounts, Bettger was extremely successful in producing a vast clientele who were very affluent in all aspects of their lives. With this came notoriety and a large influx of cash for Bettger. One of the changes that Bettger shares that made him successful was to become part of the “6 o’clock club,” a club of salesman that start the day off right by waking up early to organize and prepare themselves for the day . Instead of sleeping in and approaching life with a lackadaisical attitude Bettger made the conscious decision to wake up early in the morning in order to start the day off in a positive manner. Bettger quickly realized he became more productive, started manufacturing more business, and generating more cash flow by waking up hours earlier.

I know that income, notoriety, success, and popularity are not inherently evil. If used in the right way and for the right purposes all of the above can be glorifying to God. However, if used in the wrong way, such as motivation, incentive, and inspiration one should think twice before considering such a path. This is one of the reasons why I was reluctant to adopt such an idea as I sought to improve some of my skills. Then I watched a movie….

Last night after putting the girls to bed Heather and I watched, Evan Almighty. We both found it to be funny, entertaining, and quite meaningful. I know some of you might find it corny and I want you to know that I agree with you on that, to some extent. If you have seen the movie then you know the importance of the number 614. Everywhere he looked, Evan encountered 614. Evan’s first encounter with 614 came when his alarm clock went off the morning after he prayed the prayer, “Lord, help me change the world.” Evan eventually discovers that 614 is a reference to Genesis 6:14. In the verse God directs Noah to build an ark. Evan finally connects the two and discovers that he too must build an ark in order to change the world. He also discovers that the ARK he is supposed to build is much more then just a large wooden boat, it is A Random act of Kindness.

I don’t know about you but a chance at a large income, notoriety, and success does not motivate or inspire me that much. Gone are the days of being compelled by money, prestige, and power. However, I draw great motivation and inspiration with the chance to change the world. This is why, when I crawled into bed last night, I reached over to my alarm clock and changed it from 6:00 AM to 6:14 AM. Now when I wake up at 6:14 I whisper the prayer, “Lord, help me change the world.”

What are you going to do to change the world?

0 comments:

Post a Comment