With Him... For Others...

Tuesday, April 29, 2008
It is easy to think about what is best for yourself. It is even easier to think of the things, whether good or bad, that you might need or want. Let’s face it, it is easy to be about yourself, placing your own desires and wishes before those around. Let me let you in on a little secret, it’s not about you!

As Christ followers we are called to live with Christ for the sake of others. We are called to lay aside our fleshy desire for the benefit of those within our sphere of influence and beyond. The ways of Christ are in total contrast to the ways of the world, which propel us into individuality, claiming what is rightfully ours. Let me illustrate the contrast:

Heather and I have a bet. Once she was given the OK by her Dr. to start exercising we weighed ourselves. We each set a weight loss goal that we desire to achieve by the end of the year. On December 31, 2008 we will weigh ourselves and whoever lost the highest percentage of their goal will win the grand prize. It must be noted that we have tried this once before and we had to delay the bet because I cheated. I figured the only way to win was to make Heather gain weight. On December 31, 2007 I was the clear winner because I had maintained my weight loss and Heather had gained weight because she was with child.

Now to the point, I am in complete conflict regarding our bet; it is as if each personality (my flesh & Spirit) within me wishes to prevail. Although they appear as polar opposites, it is simply a different side to the same coin. On one hand, I want to win because I am extremely competitive. In case you are wondering what side of the coin this is, it is the backside because that is where the dust that heather will be breathing comes from as I run away (literally & figuratively) with the victory. The other side of me desires nothing more for Heather to be victorious as I embrace her with my loving arms, celebrating with her every step of the way.

Living with Christ for the sake of others means doing what is best for those around us. It means being aware and cognitive of the wants, needs, and desires of those we come in contact with. To do this, we must be determined and focused, in tune with the Spirit’s prompting and leading. In case you are wondering I am not going to lay down in defeat so that I my fleshly desire will not win, that wouldn’t be what is best for Heather now would it? I am going to be determined and focused on my goal as to drive and motivate Heather towards hers.

0 comments:

Post a Comment